To: George Belotsky <george@register.com>
Cc: Martin Oldfield <m@mail.tc>, michaelm@netsol.com, "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Michael Mealling <michael@bailey.dscga.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 12:00:06 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Unique handle generation

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 11:55:09AM -0500, George Belotsky wrote:
> Can we automatically generate these URIs and ensure uniqueness
> without resorting to some central repository?
>
> If we can (I don't see why not), then this is potentially a
> good approach.

Please. No. I've been involved in a lot of these XML/URI discusions and you
really don't want to do this. Do you really want to have your system
to have to deal with a registry using "mailto:joe@aol.com" as its
registry identifier? Allowing any URI means you allow _ANY_ URI here.
The issues surrounding the nearly 100 different unregistered URIs that
folks are using with no coordination and several conflicts [1][2] make
this a currently very badly managed space. This is the identifier the
_entire_ provreg system is going to depend on at its _core_. You
really don't want it based on such loose identification scheme...

-MM

[1]http://www.w3.org/Addressing/schemes
[2]http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/url-schemes

Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael