To: Bill Manning <bmanning@isi.edu>
Cc: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Michael Mealling <michael@bailey.dscga.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 12:51:49 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Unique handle generation

On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 09:48:21AM -0800, Bill Manning wrote:
> % I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make in the context of
> % admin repository changes over time.
> %
> % What happens to your example handle if the admin function is one day moved
> % from ARIN to some other administrative entity (call it !ARIN for the sake of
> % argument), but the person and prefix remain constant?  Does the handle
> % remain WM110-ARIN, or must it change to WM110-!ARIN?
>
> 	The legecy composite  WM110-ARIN remains
> 	If -I- chose to do business w/ !ARIN, then !ARIN may
> 	create the composite WM110-!ARIN.  If !ARIN wishes
> 	to create the composite anyway, they -MUST- use my
> 	handle, WM110, not create something else.. like BM14
> 	or WM73.

So your personal handle is part of a globally unique space that all
registries have to coordinate to ensure uniqueness, right?

-MM

Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821
Network Solutions	|          www.lp.org          |  michaelm@netsol.com