To: michaelm@netsol.com
Cc: bmanning@isi.edu (Bill Manning), shollenbeck@verisign.com (Hollenbeck Scott), ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Bill Manning <bmanning@isi.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 10:04:20 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Unique handle generation

%>% I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make in the context of
%>% admin repository changes over time.
%>%
%>% What happens to your example handle if the admin function is one day moved
%>% from ARIN to some other administrative entity (call it !ARIN for the sake of
%>% argument), but the person and prefix remain constant?  Does the handle
%>% remain WM110-ARIN, or must it change to WM110-!ARIN?
%>
%> 	The legecy composite  WM110-ARIN remains
%> 	If -I- chose to do business w/ !ARIN, then !ARIN may
%> 	create the composite WM110-!ARIN.  If !ARIN wishes
%> 	to create the composite anyway, they -MUST- use my
%> 	handle, WM110, not create something else.. like BM14
%> 	or WM73.
%
% So your personal handle is part of a globally unique space that all
% registries have to coordinate to ensure uniqueness, right?
%
% -MM

	Unfortunately, yes.
	Just like the registry handles have be be globally unique.
	(It would be confusing to have two registries with the same
	handle... :)
	One must have globally unique space within each object type.

--
--bill

Home | Date list | Subject list