To: shollenbeck@verisign.com (Hollenbeck, Scott)
Cc: pgeorge@saraf.com ('Paul George'), ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Bill Manning <bmanning@isi.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 09:05:15 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Unique handle generation

 some time back (last week) I mentioned that each object has its own
handle. One of those objects is the administrative repository. We have
documented evidence that administrative repositories have changed while
the objects it has chosen to imbed have not changed.

Please consider that some "handles" are a concatination of "atomic"
handles. e.g.

Person:  WM110
Admin Repository: ARIN
	these two are concatinated to form WM110-ARIN and that composite
	is bound to:
---
Prefix: 192.168.0.0/16

%
% Right now I'm working with the assumption that the administrative repository
% won't change, but maybe that's not a good assumption.  For example, gTLD
% registry operators may change over time.  Changing the handle upon such a
% repository change would be counter to other requirements, but not changing
% it might be confusing.
%
% Perhaps this requirement should be reworded -- suggestions?
%
% <Scott/>
%