To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: George Belotsky <george@register.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 10:50:07 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Unique handle generation

If the admin repository changes, #3 and #4 will contradict
each other.  The repository that created the object could
be part of the handle.  Then, if an object is deleted and
registered by some other repository, the handle will change
(which could be a good thing).

Transfers would not change the handle.

Also, there are advantages to converting the handles to
digests, and then using those instead of handles.  It would
provide a measure of security (and perhaps privacy, if personal
information is part of the handle) for the user.  Also, the
handles would be stored and used in a consistent, fixed-length
format (e.g. 128 bits of opaque binary data).

While a digest would preclude search functionality (especially
across registries, registrars, etc.), this is probably too
complex a task for a handle anyway.  Powerful search facilities
rely on a number of object attributes, can contain patterns and
have a complex boolean structure, etc.  Trying to fit all the
needed information into a handle would make it very large,
complex, and thus difficult to remember.

In the above scenario, searches would return the digest form of the
handle as attributes of the found objects.  The opaque format would
prevent the originator of the request from potentially learning any
more information from the handle itself than their access privileges
allow.  The user on whose behalf the handle was created would still
have the readable version of the handle, and could choose who to give
(or not to give) this information to.

George.

--
George Belotsky