To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 09:03:41 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Unique handle generation

OK, I see your point.  In an earlier message you suggested some requirements
for handles; let me try to capture those thoughts (and some mentioned by
others) more precisely:

1. Every object MUST have an associated handle.

2. An object handle MUST be globally unique.

3. An object's handle MUST NOT change during the lifetime of an object, even
if administrative control of the object changes over time.

4. An object handle MUST contain information that unambiguously identifies
both the object and the object's administrative repository.

5. Handle format SHOULD be easily parsed by humans.

Does anyone object to having these added to the requirements draft?

<Scott/>

Home | Date list | Subject list