To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 08:13:27 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Unique handle generation

At 19.49 -0500 01-03-09, Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:
>The requirements draft currently states that every object must be associated
>with a unique identifier, but it doesn't specifically define the format of
>the identifier(s).  It's that "what the protocol should do" (in scope) vs.
>the "how the protocol should do it" (out of scope) thing again.

What do you mean by unique? Locally in the registrar? In the
Registry? In the world? Should the handle change when an object is
moved between registrars? Should the handle be able to not only
identify the object but also where the object is?

I.e. a bit more specific requirements would help. It is the lack of
answers to these questions the discussion on the syntax is so hard.

   paf

Home | Date list | Subject list