To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Cc: "'Paul George'" <pgeorge@saraf.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Martin Oldfield <m@mail.tc>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 13:17:33 +0000 (GMT)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Unique handle generation

    Scott> Right now I'm working with the assumption that the
    Scott> administrative repository won't change, but maybe that's
    Scott> not a good assumption.  For example, gTLD registry
    Scott> operators may change over time.  Changing the handle upon
    Scott> such a repository change would be counter to other
    Scott> requirements, but not changing it might be confusing.

Surely the possibility of change significantly reduces the handle's
utility though ?

If one of the reasons people want global uniqueness is to facilitate
using the handle as a foreign key, then if the handle might change
surely we'd also need to have some way to disseminate the changes ?

Cheers,
--
Martin Oldfield,
AdamsNames Ltd.