To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 17:53:22 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Unique handle generation

At 11.30 -0500 01-03-09, Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:
>Patrik and Mark Kosters have/had a whois-related draft that describes
>registry identifier maintenance, but I can't seem to find it in the
>individual submission archives at the moment.

I missed the deadline...

The draft talks about "what goes on port 43", i.e. the whois protocol.

It tries to resolv the following issues:

   - Introduction of syntax for referals
   - Introduction of charset specification
   - Specification of handle format
   - Introduction of registry identifier (1/2 of the global handle for an
     object) at IANA
   - Points at RFC 2622 for proposed syntax for output, and how to
     give information to client about syntax

Nothing more, nothing less.

Some of the above might be removed.

If you are interested in talking more about this. Find me in Minneapolis!

When the I-D is out there, then we can start discussing this "what
goes on port 43".

Note that the goal is not at all to solve all needs for a real
directory services protocol which the last whois bof turned into.
I.e. when I accepted the last whois bof, I thought personally that it
would be about fixing bugs in what goes on port 43, but people seem
to be more interested in a "Whois service for domain name databases"
-- which is a very much different problem.

      paf

Home | Date list | Subject list