To: "Kent Crispin" <kent@songbird.com>, <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "James Seng/Personal" <James@Seng.cc>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 00:07:37 +0800
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Interim Meeting

> Scott said:
>
>   "If anyone has issues with it I wish they would make them known..."
>
> What, specifically, are your issues with it?

As I said, I rather the individual registries bring this to the WG
rather than myself since my views may not accurately reflects their
needs.

But since you asked, here are some issues.

3.4 Object Registration

  [1] The protocol MUST provide services to register Internet domain
  names.

Cool, suppose I dont use it for DNS? (Some of the registration we doing
are not DNS based). And I believe Verisign/NSI _may_ consider using this
for their PKI and ENUM stuff. Scott may confirm or deny (or remain
silence) on this.

  [5] The protocol MUST provide services to register name servers.  Name
  server registration MUST NOT be limited to a specific period of time.
  Name servers registered within the registry's authoritative TLDs MUST
  be registered with a valid Internet Protocol version 4 (IPv4) or
  version 6 (IPv6) address.  A name server MAY be registered with
  multiple IP addresses.  An IP address MAY be shared among multiple
  name servers using distinct server names. Name servers that exist in
  TLDs other than those for which the registry is authoritative MUST be
  registered without an IP address providing that the server TLD is
  itself a valid TLD.

Supposing I am a DNS registry who accepts names but associate it with
something else rather than DNS? (e.g. I only do URL forwarding?) There
are registries out that who is doing so.

  [10] All registrars MUST be authorized to register objects in the
  registry.  Name server registration MUST be limited to the registrar
  of the name server's parent domain.  Unauthorized attempts to register
  a name server in a parent domain administered by another registrar
  MUST be explicitly rejected.

One of the conflicting Reqs which I am sure Scott understand. Conflict
Case: Domain D1 with Nameservers NS1, NS2 registered thru Registrar R1
and Domain D2 with also Nameservers NS1, NS2 registered thru Registrar
R2? And who to say that the ISP must and only must use one registrar to
work around this?

IMHO, it is better to define an "authorization access" to an object
rather than putting explicit work around.

Okay..more fun in object association but I wont go on...till next time.

-James Seng

Home | Date list | Subject list