To: <budi@alliance.globalnetlink.com>, <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Brian W. Spolarich" <briansp@walid.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 09:08:37 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Unique handle (was RE: Merging RRP and Whois)

| >  Dumb question:  Instead of inventing new identifiers or bending
| > existing ones in perhaps ungraceful ways, why not use a URL as the
| > identifier?
|
| As with email, I've had URL which is not active anymore.
| (Actually, it is now owned by somebody else!)
| How do you authenticate the owner of a URL?
| I have a domain (thus the URL) that does not belong to me
| anymore.

  Sorry if I was unclear.  I wasn't talking about a URL in the sense of
something you (necessarily) type in your web browser.  I was thinking a bit
more generically of using an existing identifier scheme instead of inventing
a new one.

  If you were do to provreg on top of LDAP you could do something like:

ldap://registry.internic.net/cn=Brian%20W.%20Spolarich,o=WALID,%20Inc.,c=US

  according to RFC2255.  The escaped spaces are ugly, but ohwell.

  Authenticating to the provreg service can be handled by any of the
established means:  x.509 certs, PGP keys, passwords, or whatever.

  As Bill Manning points out, there are a lot of broad shoulders to stand on
here.

  -bws

Home | Date list | Subject list