To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: "Jörg Bauer/Denic" <bauer@denic.de>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 10:33:03 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Antwort: Unique handle (was RE: Merging RRP and Whois)

On 01.02.2001 00:07 budi@alliance.globalnetlink.com wrote:

> >  Dumb question:  Instead of inventing new identifiers or bending
> > existing ones in perhaps ungraceful ways, why not use a URL as the
> > identifier?
>
> As with email, I've had URL which is not active anymore.
> (Actually, it is now owned by somebody else!)
> How do you authenticate the owner of a URL?
> I have a domain (thus the URL) that does not belong to me
> anymore.

What do you thinks of URN´s (not yet a full standart, as far as i know)

something like
     urn:registry:whois.denic.de:person:joerg_bauer

with the following meenings:
urn:registry:      Namespace for registries
whois.denic.de:    Whois information to the object
person:            type of object
joerg_bauer:    identifier inside the registry

I know that with this approach i´m again mixing rrp and whois.
Maybe it is an better idea to say rrp.denic.de for an interface to rrp.

--

Joerg Bauer                       | eMail : Joerg.Bauer@denic.de
DENIC eG                          | Fon   : +49 69 272 35 180
Wiesenhuettenplatz 26             | Fax   : +49 69 27235 235
D-60329 Frankfurt                 |

Home | Date list | Subject list