To: peter@2day.com (Peter Mott)
Cc: dcohen@register.com (Dan Cohen), ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 23:32:28 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Security vs. Authorization

% Any system, particularly when inforced at a technical level that starts with
% a position of "registrars cant be trusted" will fail commercially.  Simply
% because registrars wont be able to differentiate themselves, and will
% ultimately be bound by the registry modus operandi.  The complexity will
% also erode benefit of a distributed service.

	Its not a question of trust, its a question of when
	any given registrar becomes "incapacitated". In a monopoly
	system, there is no alternative. In a competative market,
	there is a need to protect the integrity of the registered
	data.

% I am not advocating a system with no checks and balances.  All I say is,
% dont try to enforce compliance at a technical level.  Organise a third party
% with audit experience to run checks occasionally and require registrars to
% report to the TLD manager on a regular basis as part of retaining
% accreditation.

	Sure... thats one model.

% In short, no more checking required than I would expect for a service
% provided by a single govt department.

	Hogwash. I want choice -AND- accountability.
	Its my data and I want to ensure that potential holders
	of my data have sound technical methods to ensure that
	my data will remain intact regardless of their solvency.

%
% Regards
%
% Peter Mott