To: "Bill Manning" <bmanning@ISI.EDU>
Cc: "Dan Cohen" <dcohen@register.com>, <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Peter Mott" <peter@2day.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 22:02:00 +1300
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Security vs. Authorization

> 	Its not a question of trust, its a question of when
> 	any given registrar becomes "incapacitated". In a monopoly
> 	system, there is no alternative. In a competative market,
> 	there is a need to protect the integrity of the registered
> 	data.

The need to protect data exists whether the system is a monopoly or
competitive in nature.

> % In short, no more checking required than I would expect for a service
> % provided by a single govt department.
>
> 	Hogwash. I want choice -AND- accountability.
> 	Its my data and I want to ensure that potential holders
> 	of my data have sound technical methods to ensure that
> 	my data will remain intact regardless of their solvency.

Sounds like in your country govt departments have accountability and private
enterprise does not.  Not sure how your laws work, but down this way the
only folk who are above the law are generally the govt.  Everybody else is
expected to play the game fair and square.

I share your view that accountability is important. What I am suggesting is
a different means of obtaining it.  There are ways of dealing with (the
unlikely event of) insolvency other than through the technical
implementation.

What eludes me most is the reasoning that a registrar operating in a
competitive system is more at risk of failure or of not complying with the
registrar/registrant contract than a (single) registrar operating in a
monopoly system.

Regards

Peter Mott
Chief Enthusiast