To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: budi@alliance.globalnetlink.com
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 05:18:03 +0700
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Security vs. Authorization

> > 	I think that this might be problematic.  There should be a
> > 	method to allow "override" in the event the single authorized
> > 	registrar is unwilling/unable to make the change.

As I (and others) mentioned earlier,
if the authority (in a form of certificate, token, whatever
authentication technology implemented) is in the registrant hand,
this would not be a problem.

The registrant can remove/revoke the authority given to the
registrar and delegate the authority to another registrar or
even to the registry to make changes.

This way, only *one* entity (whoever has the token/certificate)
can change the record and it is controlled by the registrant
(legal concern is technically addressed here).
Security and authentication are addressed in a *clean and ellegant*
manner. What more could you ask? ;-)

Implementation can be tricky, though.
But since we are not talking about implementation, we
can defer our concern at a later stage.

Of course, if we want more complicated implementation we
can have the registry holding key escrow :-)
(Although, I don't see the reason why such thing is needed
since the registry can change the content.)
Thus, the registry is responsible for the integrity of the
database.

Regards
-- budi
-- TLD-ID
--
Homepage: <http://budi.insan.co.id>
my presentation materials, papers, scrapbook, ... and more

Home | Date list | Subject list