To: <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Dan Cohen <dcohen@register.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 15:49:16 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Security vs. Authorization

At 03:04 PM 01/10/2001 -0500, Paul George wrote:
>I believe we should ensure data integrity so far as technology is concerned.
>But, does "data integrity" address the concern I brought up in the first
>place?  Which was:
>
>         "what role the protocol should play in protecting
>         the entities during each transaction."
>
>When I say "entities" I mean ALL entities, not just the Registrar and the
>Registry.

Even though I think we probably could come up with technical ways to
protect registrants from registrar's bad behavior, I don't think we
should.  The whole point of having gTLD registrars separate from the
registry is that the registrars are responsible to the registrants, and the
competition between registrars and the ability to transfer causes
registrants to get better service.  I realize that most of the ccTLDs don't
have this model, but that just means that ccTLD registries don't have to
protect registrants from registrars.  The registrants enter into agreements
with the registrars, and the registrars are legally responsible to provide
the registrant with appropriate levels of service.  Also, registrars have
agreements with ICANN (and probably with the registries as well) that
require them to provide an appropriate level of service to the
registrants.  These agreements, plus general business sense, should be
enough to keep registrars (and their employees) in line.  Adding extra
authentication that the registrant is responsible for will greatly
inconvenience all of the "entities" involved, and really raise the cost for
everyone (think of all the extra customer service interactions the
registries would now have to handle if they had to assist registrants that
lost their authenticating information).

Dan

Dan Cohen
Manager of Software Engineering