To: Olivier Guillard <Olivier.Guillard@nic.fr>, "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Cc: "'Paul George'" <pgeorge@saraf.com>, Ietf-Provreg <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Jordyn A. Buchanan" <jordyn@register.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 12:27:07 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Security vs. Authorization

At 06:02 PM 1/10/2001 +0100, Olivier Guillard wrote:
> > [n] The protocol MUST provide services to confirm registrar
> authorization to
> > [delete|renew|update|transfer] an object.
>
>What happen if the registrant want to change something and the registrar
>doesn't want to do it?
>
>What happen if the registrar declare himself has the registrant?
>
>Are you sure that the registrar is the only one entitle do performe any
>change?

I really think this is an issue of policy more than one of
technology.  We're building a protocol by which registrars and similar
entitites can interact with registries, not a communications channel by
which registrants can communicate directly with the registry.

If a registrar isn't doing what they're supposed to be doing for a
registrant, the registrant can transfer the domain to a different
registrar, or use whatever contracts or polices exist in order to bludgeon
the registrar into taking appropriate action.

Jordyn

Home | Date list | Subject list