To: "Paul George" <pgeorge@saraf.com>
cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Marcel Schneider <schneider@switch.ch>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 19:38:45 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Charter last call summary

On Tuesday, 9 Jan 2001, "Paul George" writes:

Hi Paul

> In the case you describe, if the registry is also acting as the registrar
> wouldn't it then still fit into the current definition?

> It would be a little awkward because the registry is interacting with
> itself, but if you view the one *entity* two different ways (playing two
> roles) then it is still a registrar interacting between a registrant and
> itself (the registry).

> Maybe I am not fully understanding your concerns over the workding???

All I try to say is that there is an entity (something)
btw. registrant and registry. And that this entity is
from now on called registrar. It does not specify any
specific function of this intermediate 'layer'.

The reason is that we e.g. could use the word 'dummy'
or whatever at other places (e.g. in other documents)
for this entity, or even agent ;-). But here it is
called registrar.

If the registry is also acting in this intermediate function,
why should it use the rrp and why should we then distinguish
btw. front- and backend services ? It simply would be - as
Ed points out - be one that is not 'increasingly use' the
above functions ;-).

Marcel

Home | Date list | Subject list