To: "Marcel Schneider" <schneider@switch.ch>, "Paul George" <pgeorge@saraf.com>
Cc: <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Peter Mott" <peter@2day.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 08:00:25 +1300
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Charter last call summary

> If the registry is also acting in this intermediate function,
> why should it use the rrp and why should we then distinguish
> btw. front- and backend services ?

Every TLD that has the same entity performing registry and registrar roles
should consider using this protocol.  If you ever want to move to a
competitive registration model, you will need to give other registrars
access to the registry as well as yourself.  It would make such a
transistion much cleaner and save you considerable development time.

If you are sure the TLD will always offer a monopoly registrar service, then
I guess using the rrp is less compelling.

Regards

Peter Mott
Chief Enthusiast
2day.com