To: <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Paul George" <pgeorge@saraf.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 14:14:29 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Definition of Registry

(This ended up beinging kinda long, sorry in advance)

Hello, just joined the mailing list yesterday and just finished reading the
archive- phweeeuu!  Forgive me during this learning curve, I am new to this
whole thing.

I have a comment on the sticking point between gTLD-oriented people and
ccTLD-oriented people regarding the "competitive model".

In many cases in life it is common for the same "entity" to take on
different roles.  If a registry provides domain name restration services
(like NSI) then it could be viewed that the registry is acting as a
registrar during those activities.

Our company has been thinking about the different roles related to domain
name registration and at the highest level we have so far:

3:User - Individual contact/agent - Authorized to act on behalf of (2).

2:Customer - Individual, company, org, gov't, etc. - "Owner" of the "thing"
that each "transaction" concerns.  (could I be any more ambiguous? ;-)

NOTE: (3) and (2) could be one and the same person.

1:Registrar - Organization responsible for gathering the required
information and transmitting said information to (0). Might want to store
information on (1) & (2) on a local DB.  Will probably want to enforce some
set of business rules (policy) on (2) - like charge money, etc.

0:Registry - Organization responsible for processing requests from (1),
storing them in a database and publishing zone files.  Will probably want to
enforce some set of business rules on (1) - like expected data fields, etc.

NOTE: (1) and (0) could be one and the same "entity".

The below discussion might be a matter of symantics.  When someone says:

 >     "Registry: An entity that provides back-end domain name registration
 >     services to registrars....

It tells me that there exists the capability for a registrar to connect to
the registry's system and request an action.  It DOES NOT tell me that a
registry initiates a request for any of those actions.  Which I think is the
way it should be.

If an entity (company, gov't, etc.) initiates a request to it's own registry
for a domain name service, then at that moment that entity is acting in the
role of a regsitrar.  When it processes its own request it switches back to
being a registry.

I think the below discussion tends to limit every entity (company, gov't,
etc.) to only one role - which would not allow a regstry to "have any
interest in the business of domain name registration."  Which would be a
limited view of reality.

It is said that it is better to remain silent and thought a fool then to
speak and remove all doubt.  Well, I guess I spoke..... :-)

Paul George
Saraf Software Solutions