To: <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: budi@alliance.globalnetlink.com
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 06:47:42 +0700
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Definition of Registry

On 5 Jan 01, at 10:05, Peter Mott wrote:

> > Who is responsible for the content if the Registry is not? Will each
> > Registrar instead be responsible for his part of the database?
> >
> > What then if a customer moves from one Registrar to another?
>
> Answer: The registry record is then maintained by the new registrar.
>
> The role of database integrity belongs to the registry.
> The role of content management belongs to the registar.

Hmm... I would think that the record belongs to the user
(the owner of the record, registered entity, registrant?).
Let's do this one right(?).

She can delegate access to the registrar she chooses.
Thus, when she changes registrar she can revoke delegation
to the previous registrar and delegate access to the new registrar.
(Perhaps through some kind of ticket, certificate, or
what have you. We can hash technical details latter on.)
This way, transfer access from one registrar to another
is clean.
Othwerwise, registrar who registered her record may deny
transfer to another (usually competing) registrar.
Then, the user/registred entity is stuck.

But all of this means that access to the database must
go through a registrar. ie. user cannot modify her own record.
Is this a good thing? Is this common practice?
I don't know.
Or maybe in certain implementation, a user can be considered
a registrar?
Come to think of it, by adding the user in the equation
it is more complex :-(

Inconsitencies (spell?) of the content is the responsibility
of the user (registered entity/registrant).
The registry is "responsible" for database integrity.
Although, we should define what is "responsible".
If I were (currnetly am) a registry, then I don't want
to get sued. But I do make sure that integrity is one
of the top priorities.

So, what's the role a registrar? Beats me ;-)
Interface between registered entity (user) and registry?

> In some applications, the two roles are administered by the same entity.
> Thats a monopoly model.  OK for a closed/restricted namespace like .mil but
> not useful for open gTLD's.

Some ccTLDs operate like this. Ours (.ID) is an example.
Although, we plan to change it into an open model by the
end of 2002. I would think many will stay like this
for a longer period of time.

Regards
-- budi
-- TLD-ID
--
Homepage: <http://budi.insan.co.id>
my presentation materials, papers, scrapbook, ... and more

Home | Date list | Subject list