To: "Jaap Akkerhuis" <jaap@sidn.nl>, "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Cc: <Alf.Hansen@uninett.no>, <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Peter Mott" <peter@2day.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 10:15:28 +1300
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Definition of Registry

>     OK, how about changing the definition from this:
>
>     "Registry: An entity that provides back-end domain name registration
>     services to registrars, managing a central repository of
> information

Whats broke here is the notion that a registry provides a domain name
registration service.  In a competitive model, the registry should only do
these things:-

*	Provide registrars with access to a shared database
*	Publish zone files

At no time does the registry register names.  Registration is a task
completed by the registrar as part of executing a contract it has with the
registrant.

The registry should not have any interest in the business of domain name
registration.  Just the business of ensuring accredited registrars can.

My thinking is that the registry exists to complete the tasks which cant be
shared due to the hierarchical nature of the system.  But those tasks alone.

The moment you have the registry taking on other tasks, you introduce
compexity and duplication of responsibility.

Regards

Peter Mott
Chief Enthusiast
2day.com