To: Rick H Wesson <wessorh@ar.com>
Cc: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, "'Edward Lewis'" <lewis@tislabs.com>, <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 08:42:18 -0800
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: State of Provreg

At 08:19 AM 1/2/01 -0800, Rick H Wesson wrote:
>I propose that we just keep Ed as chair and not have a co-chair. Not that
>I have anything against Jaap, I don't. I think Ed will be fair and make
>sure all sides get represented.

I am quite fond of having co-chairs... in some circumstances.  In
particular, co-chairs can be quite helpful when the content area involves
lots of people with little or no IETF experience.  Hence one chair is a
content expert and one is a process expert.

This group already has a number of very experienced IETF participants, so
there is no need to worry about the group having sufficient knowledge in
that regard.

As to "neutrality" that is never possible to achieve completely.  Hence it
is worth attending to it only for extreme cases.  Also note that the same
concern about a neutral chair could be raised about a neutral editor.  (As
has been often noted, editor is actually a more powerful job than chair...)

Let me suggest that this group has a broad enough, and active enough, range
of participants to greatly reduce concerns about biased process and biased
content.

One chair ought to be just fine.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464

Home | Date list | Subject list