To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, "'Edward Lewis'" <lewis@tislabs.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Marc Blanchet <Marc.Blanchet@viagenie.qc.ca>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 12:02:22 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: State of Provreg

my 2 cents on my own experience on co-chairing:
- if one co-chair is busy because of work/personal/... (it happens to me
with a new baby last february), then the other one can continue on and the
end result is that the wg do not suffer from lack of time from the chair.
- co-chairs can separate their work inside the wg (ie. content, ietf
management, etc...), so their respective workload is less.
- co-chairs can separate their intervention when perception of politics
arise: i.e. when a co-chair is business involved in an touchy issue of the
wg, then the other co-chair can take that ball. (Really useful for the
co-chairing I've done since  a year now...)
- co-chairs can separate the travel when they are asked to provide reports
to various organisations, conferences, etc... Especially useful, since it
happens that the travel schedule of the co-chairs is different and
complementary so the probability is higher that these requests will be
handled easily
- there is also some drawbacks (more time for discussing the hot issues
between the co-chairs, etc.), but my own experience is that co-chairing is
much more useful than the possible drawbacks.

All these arguments can be relevant or not to this working group. My
current wg co-chairing is probably a bit political... ;-)))

Well, this is just food of thoughts. I'm not saying that the wg should have
co-chairs.

Regards, Marc.

At/À 10:41 2001-01-02 -0500, Hollenbeck, Scott you wrote/vous écriviez:
>I'm curious about the need for a co-chair.  I've seen only two list messages
>that touch on the topic: one from Geva in which he suggested the idea, and
>one from myself suggesting that if the need is for "balance" we already
>appear to be progressing towards a balanced WG.  Is a co-chair needed due to
>projected work load or some "behind the scenes" concerns that haven't been
>raised on the list?
>
>Scott Hollenbeck
>VeriSign Global Registry Services

Marc Blanchet
Viagénie inc.
tel: 418-656-9254
http://www.viagenie.qc.ca

Normos (http://www.normos.org): Internet standards portal:
IETF RFC, drafts, IANA, W3C, ATMForum, ISO, ... all in one place.

Home | Date list | Subject list