To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Tim Chown <tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 18:45:35 +0000
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: DNS discovery

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 05:48:50PM +0200, teemu.savolainen@nokia.com wrote:

> What comes to DHCPv6 vs. RA, would it be possible for the hosts just to look if RA has any DNS options and use them if available, otherwise use DHCPv6(-lite) / alternative methods? That way those network administrators who wish to use RA could enable it to the routers and others could leave it out.

So would the M/O bits in the RA then be ignored?  Or would we assume the
presence of the options in the RA would go hand-in-hand with both bits
being zero anyway?

Is the proposal for RA method to always include DNS options in all RAs
(would be excessive, but for renumbering or DNS option changes some
indication is required from the "server" side), or for the solicitation to
indicate that the client supports the RA options and thus request them if
available?

Tim