To: <teemu.savolainen@nokia.com>
Cc: <dnsop@cafax.se>, <jim@rfc1035.com>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@nominum.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 12:57:19 -0600
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: DNS discovery

On Nov 13, 2003, at 11:34 AM, <teemu.savolainen@nokia.com> wrote:
> I see that point as one reasoning to vote for cheaper IPv6 DNS
> discovery mechanism than DHCPv6(-lite) with RTT cost and I wished to
> share the reasoning with the group.

Perhaps someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think
anybody is saying you shouldn't use a cheaper mechanism in a specific
environment like this.   That certainly wasn't what I meant when I said
we should pick one implementation and standardize on that.

All some of us are saying is that the fallback mechanism should be
DHCPv6-lite, and that should always be available.   If you want to
provide RA, and the clients on your network support it, I think that's
fine, and that cuts your round-trips down to one.   But the minimal
correct implementation should be minimal, and there are advantages, in
the general case, to having DHCPv6-lite be the minimal correct
implementation.

I may be mistaken about this impression, though - some folks seem to be
saying that we shouldn't even *allow* RA.   That is certainly not my
position.   That *was* my position, before Tim pointed out that there's
a bit for this in the RA, so I can understand why there might be some
confusion.   :'}