To: teemu.savolainen@nokia.com
cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Jim Reid <jim@rfc1035.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:20:17 +0000
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: DNS discovery

>>>>> "teemu" ==   <teemu.savolainen@nokia.com> writes:

    teemu> So IP connections are opened many times more often than a
    teemu> GSM cellular phone registers to actual cellular network
    teemu> infrastructure (depending of course what user actually
    teemu> does..). Thus this RTT has to be waited every time such
    teemu> activity takes place and not only in powerup and when
    teemu> registering to a network.

    teemu> I do not know often average cellular phone user would get
    teemu> this RTT penalty in real life, but I think that avoiding
    teemu> this RTT would be a good design anyhow.

I already said that avoiding unnecessary RTTs is a Good Thing. However
I think you overlooked the point I was making. Presumably at the point
when a phone opens a connection to some web proxy or joins a network
or whatever there will be some sort of authentication and verification
taking place. For instance to assure the operator that the customer is
authorised to use the service. Locating a suitable DNS server could be
part of that authentication dance and the RTT for the "find me a name
server" request would be lost in the noise of the telco infrastructure
deciding what to do about the connection request, who/what to invoice
and log, etc, etc.