To: Alain Durand <Alain.Durand@Sun.COM>
CC: Tim Chown <tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk>, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 10:10:12 +0859 ()
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Policy of IPv6 DNS Discovery

Alain;

> Note: for those of us who really do not like stateless autoconf,

The problem of stateless autoconf is that it is not define at all,
while the resulting protocols have duplicated functionalities to
existing ones.

Though it is so easy to overlook AP3.2, those who carefully observe
it are rewarded a lot for ease of design, operation and deployment.

> we could still replace it with DHCPv6-lite where the returned address
> would be the concatenation of the prefix and the modified EUI64....
> This would not require the DHCPv6-lite server to keep any state,
> it could be easily implemented in the routers,

That's what I have already pointed out.

> will serve as access
> control,
> allow for prefixes other than /64, simplify having multiple prefixes
> on the same link and make the management of reverse DNS so much simpler...

In addition, with DHCP autoconfiguration, it is also possible to use
arbitrary value for the lower 64 bits of addresses at the descretion
of site administrators.

							Masataka Ohta