To: BELOEIL Luc FTRD/DMI/CAE <luc.beloeil@francetelecom.com>
cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 20:14:54 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: RE: proposal for a compromise on DNS discovery

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, BELOEIL Luc FTRD/DMI/CAE wrote:

> Ok DHCP servers are embedded in current IPv4 SOHO router.

There, and LOTS of other places.

> This is cheap and efficient. But this is not a valid argument to to
> say that DHCP is THE only valid solution to announce DNS resolver
> server IPv6 address.

DHCP in SOHO networks alone isn't, no. However, the fact that just about
every network of any size has, or can easily deploy dhcp(lite) is.

> There was a analysis made by the DNS Discovery Design Team in march 2001
> (draft-ietf-ipnwg-dns-discovery-01.txt). Wouldn't it be valuable to go
> on or to restart such a work ? (instead of this no-end battle?)

The "battle" would end if the RA DNS proponents would stop re-proposing
it. :)

Doug

--
Angel:  We need you to distract the vampires.
Buffy:  Right.