To: "Masataka Ohta" <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>, "Michael Richardson" <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
Cc: <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: "BELOEIL Luc FTRD/DMI/CAE" <luc.beloeil@francetelecom.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:03:33 +0200
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: RE: proposal for a compromise on DNS discovery

> >     Daniel> Reality check: home networks are, if connected to the
Internet,
> >     Daniel> attached via a gatewaying device. The de vice of choice
for a
> >     Daniel> large number of networks is a $60 router from on of any
number of
> >     Daniel> vendors. These boxes provide DHCP, DNS forwarding and
> >     Daniel> NAT. Perhaps some other environment would provide a
better
> >     Daniel> strawman? DHCP is pretty prevalent in home networks.
> >
> >   Right, exactly.
> >
> >   I simply do not believe that there are environments where there
will be
> > a local (on wire) DNS server, but not a local DHCP server. The home
> > environment is entirely the opposite - local DHCP server in SOHO
router
> > that gets the DNS info from the ISP via DHCP and/or PPP and passes
it on via
> > DHCP.
>
> Right.
>
> And, having such DHCP servers, there is no role of RA for stateless
> (nor stateful) autoconfiguration, which is why IPv6 with ND is broken.
>
> The remaining problem is configuration on how to let the DHCP
> server in SOHO router get the info and the solution should be
> related to anycast.
>
> DNS server with anycast addresses does not neet intermediate DHCP.
>
> 							Masataka Ohta

Ok DHCP servers are embedded in current IPv4 SOHO router. This is cheap
and efficient. But this is not a valid argument to to say that DHCP is
THE only valid solution to announce DNS resolver server IPv6 address.

SOHO routers, that are currently on market, are using a DHCPv6 client to
be configured by the ISP but are using ND-based stateless address
autoconfiguration to help local hosts to configure their IPv6 addresses
!

Then what is(are) the solution(s):
- RA-based
- DHCPv6-lite
- Anycast Addresses for resolver DNS server
- SLP (I also like SLP, which already a RFC - Standards Track - !!! Does
anybody have a good point against SLP ?)
- well-known link-local addresses (+ DNS proxies...)?...

There was a analysis made by the DNS Discovery Design Team in march 2001
(draft-ietf-ipnwg-dns-discovery-01.txt). Wouldn't it be valuable to go
on or to restart such a work ? (instead of this no-end battle?) I must
have missed something concerning this old work. Could anyone give me
some pointers or summary?

Luc