To: Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>
CC: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:46:31 +0859 ()
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: DNS discovery discussion

Ralph;

> I wonder if the situation would be similar in an IPv6
> network?  I don't have any operational or measurement
> experience, so I don't know what the traffic looks
> like on a link where, say, 10,000 hosts start at the
> same time?  Can someone comment or speculate on what
> the total traffic might look like and
> whether multicast DHCPv6 would have a significant
> impact on that traffic?

Some protocol such as IPv6 intensively use (link local)
multicast.

The reason is merely that, at the time such protocols were
designed, some people believed, though they have been warned,
that the Internet must operate over large clouds of public ATM
networks, broadcast over which was impractical, which is true
because ATM is impractical, and that ATM were multicast capable.

By assuming large link layer, which violates the CATENET model,
many protocols, including but not limited to IPv6 and IGMP,
are damaged.

Now, we can simply say, broadcast.

						Masataka Ohta