To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 05:58:45 -0400
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: DNS discovery discussion

Regarding the development of a mechanism for multicast
in DHCPv6-lite...

The IPv4 community has been configuring hosts on IPv4
networks with DHCP on large networks for many years,
and there has not been, to date, a demand for any mechanism
to reduce the amount of DHCP traffic.  I don't have
specific figures, but I would imagine that - even in
the case of synchronized startup of all the hosts on
a link - the DHCP traffic would be no more than (and
probably significantly less than) ARP and similar traffic.

I wonder if the situation would be similar in an IPv6
network?  I don't have any operational or measurement
experience, so I don't know what the traffic looks
like on a link where, say, 10,000 hosts start at the
same time?  Can someone comment or speculate on what
the total traffic might look like and
whether multicast DHCPv6 would have a significant
impact on that traffic?

- Ralph