To: "D. J. Bernstein" <djb@cr.yp.to>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Jim Reid <Jim.Reid@nominum.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 04:40:14 -0700
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: regarding the respsize draft: preferring glue of certain types

>>>>> "djb" == D J Bernstein <djb@cr.yp.to> writes:

    djb> The program using the .com DNS server addresses is the same
    djb> DNS resolver that was talking to the root DNS server. Why is
    djb> it useful for this DNS resolver to receive _both_ an A record
    djb> and an AAAA record for a single .com DNS server?

Because this .com server has NO WAY of knowing if the querying server
has a preference for IPv6 or IPv4 resource records. Or which of these
is "better" for the resolving server. [And, by implication, that
resolving server's clients which could include forwarding name
servers.] My earlier mail why explained your assumption about using
the query's transport protocol to determine this was flawed. I gave
two counter examples: four if you swap the IPv6 issues for IPv4 and
vice versa. Others have made the same point. I'm sorry if you are
unable to understand this.