To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: "D. J. Bernstein" <djb@cr.yp.to>
Date: 16 Jul 2003 22:12:29 -0000
Automatic-Legal-Notices: See http://cr.yp.to/mailcopyright.html.
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: regarding the respsize draft: preferring glue of certain types

Jim Reid writes:
> You're making a false assumption that the transport protocol used for
> querying the server matters to the end client.

No.

We're talking about delegations. A parent DNS server, specifically one
of the root DNS servers, provides child DNS server addresses, such as
the .com DNS server addresses.

The program using the .com DNS server addresses is the same DNS resolver
that was talking to the root DNS server. Why is it useful for this DNS
resolver to receive _both_ an A record and an AAAA record for a single
.com DNS server? If it reached the root DNS server through IPv4, for
example, then why would it want AAAA records for the .com DNS servers?

---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago