To: "Tim Chown" <tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk>, <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: "BELOEIL Luc FTRD/DMI/CAE" <luc.beloeil@francetelecom.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:29:19 +0200
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: RE : TR : Stepping back on the DNS discovery discussion

Hi Tim,

Thanks you to react., My coments below

Yes indeed

> So an interesting question is what we mean by "stateless
> autoconfiguration".
> I think this term is causing some of the religion in the
> discussion :)   It
> seems that probably mean "autoconfiguration without servers
> (i.e. DHCPv6)", since there would have to be state
> (pre-configuration) in the router (the
> prefix configuration).   The RA camp seems to want the
> routers to be able to
> issue DNS resolver information, not a separate full-blown
> DHCPv6 server.

Hum as far as I understand DHCP-lite solution,DHCP-lite is also a stateless solution.

> But it's not that clear cut as, for example, my home DSL
> router includes a DHCP server (as well my DNS server and
> print server and other stuff). The functionality is combined,
> all in a very cheap (<100 Euro) commodity box.

How much a solution is , is only one side of the issue, not all -it depends so much of the market ;+). I do not discuss that.

> So are we really concerned as to whether we need a separate
> DHCPv6 server on our network (and the overhead of that in
> ad-hoc networks), or that we would
> like a router to be able to provide DNS resolver information
> on link (such that
> we can plumb networks without needing a separate DHCPv6 box)?
>   If the latter,
> then does it matter if the router does that via RA piggybacks
> or DHCPv6 Lite? What is the real difference in implementation cost?

Good question, I don't still know.

> Of course the mode of operation is also an interesting issue,
> but it's possible for DHCPv6(Lite) to have an unsolicited
> response mode added, if that is felt to be important.

That solution must be investigate also.

> Something has to configure the prefix information to the
> router, likewise the DNS information has to be configured.  I
> don't think we've discusse that much, but distributing the
> DNS resolver information to multiple routers rather than one
> (or a small number of) DHCPv6 servers may require more
> thought.  But in my home network, it'll all be in my DSL router :)

Some questions must still be investigated so that I could have a better opinion.
- Can DHCP-lite work on the same link were there is a DHCP server, or a DHCP-relay?
- is DHCLP-lite with multicast extension is still DHCP? ;+)
- is RA-base solution actually much easier to implement?
- How RA-based wil be implement, within the kernel, as a separate daemon?

> Tim

Luc