To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Jaehoon Jeong <jaehoon_paul@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 12:35:13 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: IPv6 DNS Autoconfiguration

--- Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
wrote:
> Jaehoon;
>
> > Beforehand, I'd like to summarize my talk for
> today's
> > discussion about DNS Discovery and
> Autoconfiguration.
>
> Autoconfiguration, as expected by IPv6 folds, is
> just impossible
> that it is a pity that DNSOP WG is contaminated.
>
> Autoconfiguration is easy on a single link isolated
> from the
> Internet. But, that's all.

At least, DNS discovery based on RA is easy and
necessary in IPv6 wired and wireless networks
connected to the Internet, I believe.
Especially, in the environments where IPv6 address
configuration is performed by IPv6 stateless address
autoconf, such as HMIPv6 and NEMO, RA-based DNS
Discovery is faster than DHCPv6-based DNS Discovery.
IMHO, both DHCPv6-based approach and RA-based approach
are necessary, depending on the situations, just like
IPv6 address autoconfiguration.

/Jaehoon