To: Ed Warnicke <eaw@cisco.com>
Cc: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, Peter Koch <pk@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>, DNSOP WG <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 02:11:03 +0400
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: draft-warnicke-network-dns-resolution-02.txt

At 2:13 PM -0400 2003/07/09, Ed Warnicke wrote:

>                                                        This requirement
>  can be fulfilled in a number of ways, but clearly service providers
>  would like to comply with legal requirements in the least expensive
>  possible way.

	Note that there are many facets to the term "expensive" in this
context.  We can only address a small subset of them, and I believe
that there are other factors which are dominant but on which we
cannot have any impact.

>                             If the mediation device vendors can
>  integrate against a particular use of the existing DNS system,
>  this should be much less expensive.

	Not true.  At least, not entirely true.

	What you really need is a standard.  But that standard doesn't
necessarily have to have anything whatsoever to do with the DNS.
Until you can convince me that there is no other possible way that
this issue can be addressed (other than using the DNS), you're going
to have an uphill battle.

	Moreover, since we're talking about a mechanism that would be
pretty much purely dictated by the US gov't, I think you would find
very strong opposition to incorporating anything remotely related to
it into an International standard protocol, such as the DNS.

>  This is a good point, and one that has been brought up before.  There
>  are ways of controlling the distribution of RR from a particular edge
>  network if the network owner is concerned.  I also mentioned this issue
>  in the Security Considerations section of the draft.

	Sorry, I don't buy this for a moment.  There are way, way too
many nameservers out there that are public recursive/caching
nameservers which could be abused to provide this sort of information
to external parties.

	Moreover, not only are these nameservers configured in such a way
as to allow this information to escape, they are also vulnerable to
cache pollution and poisoning, which could be far, far worse in the
context of anyone actually depending on the information returned by
these machines for law enforcement purposes, and where real lives
could literally be on the line.

	You're talking about relying on a "security mechanism" that is
leaky enough to allow entire galaxies to pass through, and probably
even small universes.

	You've got to have something better that can't be simply blown
out of the water by a single poorly set up nameserver, or a small
collection of poorly set up nameservers.

	Of course, probably something like 99% of all nameservers are
public recursive/caching and vulnerable to cache pollution/poisoning.
Certainly, my own survey of the gTLD, ccTLD, and root nameservers
indicates that over 50% of all the ccTLD, gTLD, and root nameservers
are open public recursive/caching nameservers, affecting almost 80%
of all the TLDs in the world (see
<http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/papers/dnscomparison/>).  And
these are supposedly the best-run nameservers in the world.  What is
the rest of the world like?

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>