To: Edward Warnicke <eaw@cisco.com>
Cc: Peter Koch <pk@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>, DNSOP WG <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 10:35:17 +0300
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: draft-warnicke-network-dns-resolution-02.txt

At 11:46 PM -0400 2003/07/07, Edward Warnicke wrote:

>  The application I'd originally written the draft to deal with was
>  identification of the first-hop router as the intercept access point
>  for Lawful Intercept ( wiretapping ).  The intention is *not* for
>  a host to use this method to discover anything, but rather for
>  *other* servers in the network to use this method to be able to
>  discover the IP address of the first-hop router(s) so that they may
>  request some service from the first-hop router(s) related to the host.
>  Some method of identifying the intercept access point is necessary
>  for Lawful Intercept.

	For a purely US-only application, or for an application where the
source country, target country, and all intervening countries have
similar laws, I think that might potentially be a valid use.

	However, in the modern Internet, I don't think that really has
much application.  I don't think anyone is about to do anything that
would allow anyone else to request that their router provide
arbitrary "lawful intercept" services for some unknown party in some
other country.

	Who knows when this kind of information might be used for
corporate or gov't espionage, or frequently and casually abused by
people with the necessary access, who probably don't even have to be
real law enforcement officers, regardless of how corrupt the police
department may be?

	And if you can't get broad adoption of this sort of feature, then
what possible use could it serve?

	I'm sorry.  Given what we've learned so far about this, I would
argue most vehemently that we should do everything within our power
to actively kill this proposal, and not just decide whether or not to
passively fail to support it.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>