To: Rob Austein <sra+dnsop@hactrn.net>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: David Conrad <david.conrad@nominum.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 19:22:06 -0700
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: draft-ietf-dnsop-serverid-01.txt

Hi,

Given their fundamental nature, I am curious as to why you didn't raise
these issues way back when I first submitted this draft or at the DNSOP
meeting where this was discussed, however...

On Sunday, April 27, 2003, at 01:16  PM, Rob Austein wrote:
> While I understand and respect the author's intentions in attempting
> to remove the BIND-specific aspects of an existing hack, this opens up
> a nasty can of worms:

It would seem difficult to do pretty much anything in the IETF these
days without opening up a nasty can of worms.

> 1) The draft asks IANA to allocate a new TLD, and a class-specific TLD
>    at that;
>
> 2) The draft specifies behavior for the (conceptual) zone
>    corresponding to that new class-specific TLD which is totally
>    inconsistant with the usual DNS data coherence model.
>
> Furthermore, even ignoring the above issues, this looks like a
> protocol document than an ops document.

The draft attempts to document existing operational practice and modify
that practice slightly so it is more generally acceptable to non-BIND
implementations.  It also tries to address an operational requirement
of being able to identify which machine is responding to a query by
extending the existing practice.  It is working code (in at least 3
independent DNS servers I am aware of).

There is no modification to the DNS protocol proposed in the draft.
There are no new RR types defined or clarification of any existing RR
type behavior.  I do not believe it appropriate for this draft to be in
DNSEXT.

> I can see two ways forward, depending on what the author and the WG
> want to do:
>
> a) Strip this back down to an Informational doc describing an existing
>    BIND hack; or

It was always my intent for this to be informational.

> b) Change focus to trying to draft some useful behavior for the STATUS
>    opcode, and move the work over to DNSEXT.

You forgot the smiley.

> Comments?

This draft attempts to extend an existing practice in as simple a way
as possible to address an immediate operational concern, namely being
able to determine which nameserver out of a set of anycast'ed
nameservers is responding to a request.  It would be distressing if
this were to get bogged down in yet another IETF swamp.

Rgds,
-drc