To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Rob Austein <sra+dnsop@hactrn.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 16:16:49 -0400
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: draft-ietf-dnsop-serverid-01.txt

At Wed, 23 Apr 2003 17:51:26 -0700, David R. Conrad wrote:

> So, this draft is going to expire soonish.
>
> Is there anything I need to do to it?  I don't remember any additional
> comments since Atlanta.
>
> Can it be pushed to last call?

I was really hoping that somebody else would say this, but ok, I'll
say it, and will recuse myself from the chair role on this draft if it
seems necessary.

While I understand and respect the author's intentions in attempting
to remove the BIND-specific aspects of an existing hack, this opens up
a nasty can of worms:

1) The draft asks IANA to allocate a new TLD, and a class-specific TLD
   at that;

2) The draft specifies behavior for the (conceptual) zone
   corresponding to that new class-specific TLD which is totally
   inconsistant with the usual DNS data coherence model.

Furthermore, even ignoring the above issues, this looks like a
protocol document than an ops document.

I can see two ways forward, depending on what the author and the WG
want to do:

a) Strip this back down to an Informational doc describing an existing
   BIND hack; or

b) Change focus to trying to draft some useful behavior for the STATUS
   opcode, and move the work over to DNSEXT.

Comments?