To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Markus Stumpf <maex-lists-dns-ietf-dnsop@Space.Net>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 20:11:22 +0200
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required-04.txt

On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 11:29:54PM -0500, Dean Anderson wrote:
> this host. That is clearly undesirable for my case--I don't want to give
> out that information. So there is a good reason for it in my example.

You mean security by obscurity?
There is a much easier way to find out all the domains hosted by us than
to ask for the PTR records of each and every IP of e.g. our /16.

> And frankly, your competitors will no doubt find the list of your
> customers useful.

So what? We don't fear competitors. Most customers that went away came
back, without us having to do something. Quality sells.

> Perhaps you want to rethink that long PTR list. And at
> some point, it will be too big for a UDP reply.  I hadn't even thought
> about that until I looked at your big list.  Then what?

Then we don't add other names. But this was an example that there is no
problem adding more than one PTR record, because you stated in a
*> or in other cases (I have some) where multihomed mailservers
*> have different forward and reverse names, so the while there are in-addr
*> records, they don't match as the small contingent thinks they ought.
There is no reason why there shouldn't be more than one PTR records
if it would be crucial.

> There is really a lot wrong with such a proposal than first catches the
> eye.

The only valid reason against this proposal I have seen upto now was from
Stephane. It shows operational problems that the legit "owners" of the IP
block would be unable to solve.

	\Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299