To: Markus Stumpf <maex-lists-dns-ietf-dnsop@Space.Net>
cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 16:30:05 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required-04.txt

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Markus Stumpf wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 11:29:54PM -0500, Dean Anderson wrote:
> > this host. That is clearly undesirable for my case--I don't want to give
> > out that information. So there is a good reason for it in my example.
>
> You mean security by obscurity?

No, security by password.  The forward domain name is a password for our
customers.  Of course, all security is through obsurity of the key.

> There is a much easier way to find out all the domains hosted by us than
> to ask for the PTR records of each and every IP of e.g. our /16.

Really? What is it?

> > And frankly, your competitors will no doubt find the list of your
> > customers useful.
>
> So what? We don't fear competitors. Most customers that went away came
> back, without us having to do something. Quality sells.

So, you expect everyone to give out their customer lists?  Not every ISP
shares your hubris.

> > Perhaps you want to rethink that long PTR list. And at
> > some point, it will be too big for a UDP reply.  I hadn't even thought
> > about that until I looked at your big list.  Then what?
>
> Then we don't add other names.

If you don't add them, then their reverse is broken, according to this
proposal.