To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Markus Stumpf <maex-lists-dns-ietf-dnsop@Space.Net>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 23:58:21 +0200
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required-04.txt

On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 04:01:37PM -0500, Dean Anderson wrote:
> I have yet to see this capability in most FTP, gopher, or http server
> software.  Without the capability, it can't even be configured. While the
> capability could exist in some software somewhere, I have yet to

Then you should probably go and RTFM.
    tcpd(8)	tcp/ip daemon wrapper program.
    tcpserver	http://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp/tcpserver.html
are starting points. google will also be of help.

> I think what has happened is that there is a small contingent pushing for

I did maintain big servers at the time it happend. And nearly none of the
"big" FTP servers at that time like
    wuarchive.wustl.edu
    ftp.funet.fi
    prep.ai.mit.edu
    gatekeeper.dec.com
    [ ... ]
had let you in without proper RR DNS.
But with the dotcom rush it became lame to add RR DNS and the server
admins stopped using

> inconvenient, or in other cases (I have some) where multihomed mailservers
> have different forward and reverse names, so the while there are in-addr
> records, they don't match as the small contingent thinks they ought.  Of

And there is no reason for it as DNS also has provisions for that case:
    $ dig -x 195.30.254.85

But this discussion is getting offtopic for this group.

	\Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299