To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Markus Stumpf <maex-lists-dns-ietf-dnsop@Space.Net>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 21:34:44 +0200
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required-04.txt

On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 01:21:57PM -0500, Edward Lewis wrote:
> E.g., let's assume that there's a "People with computers MUST
> populate the reverse tree" and I don't.  Who's going to come after
> me?  How is my failure to meet that MUST going to impact the rest of
> the network (where's the interoperability)?

Maybe after a while it will be hurting you more than the rest of the
net. Not so many years ago a lot of public information servers (e.g.
FTP, gopher, http) sent you away if your RR didn't work. Some even had
paranoid settings enabled to that forward and reverse had to match.

With the rapid growth of the net these policies were removed more and
more because the RR zones were more and more broken. Bill Manning did
nice reports and I think we're by far on the "broken side" already.

If due to the draft/rfc people will start populating and repairing the
reverse tree those policies may come back and people not caring about
the reverse tree may lock themselves out.

It's often that a recommendation that has kinda official character can
change a lot, because people have something to point at while arguing
with other people.
   Off Topic: We had a lot of problems with mailservers and discussions
   with admins in the past because of "stray newlines". RFC 821 was a
   bit unclear about that. Now we have RFC 2821 and it /explicitly/ states
   that stray newlines are not allowed. Now, if an admin complains that he
   cannot send mail, I point at the document and they go away and install
   their patches/updates. Problem solved :-)

	\Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299