To: Rob Austein <sra+dnsop@hactrn.net>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Edward Lewis <edlewis@arin.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 13:21:57 -0500
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required-04.txt

At 17:32 -0500 4/2/03, Rob Austein wrote:
>Does anybody -else- have comments on this draft?  In particular: does
>anybody who has not yet spoken on this have an opinion on whether the
>WG should be working on this?

On whether the group should spend time on this, my answer is ... it depends.

If the document is intended to document the current environment
surrounding the .arpa and/or more specifically, .in-addr.arpa, it
will be useful.  Documenting the current state of affairs, the
policies of the IRR's regarding delegations, and making informed
statements on the relationship of the .(in-addr.)arpa and the
application layer is a good thing.  Perhaps by clearly identifying
the issues, the contents of .(in-addr.)arpa and the use thereof, will
be cleaned up.

If, on the other hand, the document is going to try and specify
policies for the use of the space, it will have a tough time
proceeding.  I am not referring to an impact on IRR policy (as an
employee of one, I have no say in that regard), but rather the
general issue of the IETF having no enforcement arm.

E.g., let's assume that there's a "People with computers MUST
populate the reverse tree" and I don't.  Who's going to come after
me?  How is my failure to meet that MUST going to impact the rest of
the network (where's the interoperability)?

I'd recommend only working on the document if the tone is of a report
on the current state of affairs and not that of a mission statement
to fix the ills of a broken reverse map.  The former is useful and
closure can be reached, the latter a rat hole without bottom.