To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Peter Koch <pk@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 14:20:37 +0100
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: secondary behavior with DNSSEC

Ted Lindgreen wrote:

> OK, let's just write it out:
> With expire = Y:
>  Suppose the last successful AXFR was on day 4. Then on day 7 the
>  SIGs expire. From day 8 until day 12 the zone remains valid.

suppose last successful SOA check was on day 1. SIGs expire on day 7, zone
expires on day 8. That gives you 6 days to detect and fix the problem.

> With expire = Y-X:
>  Last successful AXFR was on day 4.
>  On day 7 both SIGs expire and zone has turned invalid.

That has zone already expired on day six.
With the new values, the zone expires on day three (1 + (7 - 5)).

So, you pay a rather high price to avoid handing out stale data (expired
signatures) from a server which may have a *temporary* problem.
What is worse (and for whom): expired SIGnatures (on old data) or an
expired zone? Since one of the primary reasons for zone expiration I've seen
is that someone introduced a syntax error at the primary master causing
that server to go non-authoritative (a BINDism, I must admit), I'd rather
have a longer window for problem detection at the risk of handing out
expired SIGs at a later point in time. Losing all secondaries at once is
tough.

At least, something needs to be said about the relation of X and Y.

-Peter