To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Rob Austein <sra+dnsop@hactrn.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 16:08:12 -0800
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: secondary behavior with DNSSEC

I agree that we need to give more thought to how sig expirations
interact with the several SOA timing parameters.  A short zone refresh
time isn't a problem per se when the network is healthy, since
resetting the zone expiration timer is a two-packet exchange under
ideal conditions when the zone hasn't changed.  So the tradeoff is
between data availability and verifiability (is that a word?  probably
shouldn't be...) when the refresh cycle isn't completing, and the
zone's expected churn rate may also be a factor.

Since the resolver's decision about what to do when sig validation
fails is ultimately a "local policy" issue, one can make a case either
way on how the zone should be configured to make the end users least
unhappy, depending on what one thinks the local policy might be.

Or perhaps I just need more coffee, or beer -- it is getting towards
the end of an IETF week....