To: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
cc: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>, Paul Vixie <vixie@vix.com>, <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 10:25:24 -0500 (EST)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Radical Surgery proposal: stop doing reverse for IPv6.

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Brad Knowles wrote:

> >  but if its optional, and untrustworthy, and currently incomplete and broken,
> >  and breaking other services, its worth questioning its value.
>
> 	DNS as a whole is optional.  Why do we need to use names at all?
> Why don't we all just memorize numbers and be done with it?

Because there is a great deal of value, very little harm, and compared to
the value there is very little work to keep it up.

> 	Sorry, I don't buy this "if it's optional then we shouldn't do
> it" argument.

Its not merely because reverse is optional part of a DNS server
implementation. It is the optionality, _and_ the harms that come with it,
_and_ the very little value of the information, _and_ the very large
amount of work to keep it up, which when taken together make it a
questionable service.

		--Dean