To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Shane Kerr <shane@ripe.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 10:16:07 +0100
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Radical Surgery proposal: stop doing reverse for IPv6.

On 2003-03-19 11:26:57 -0800, Michael Richardson wrote:

> Shane> Not strictly true.  A pretty good presentation on this was given at
> Shane> the IPv6-SIG at APNIC 15:
>
> Shane> http://www.apnic.net/meetings/15/sigs/ipv6/docs/ipv6-fujisaki-reverse-dns.pdf
>
> Shane> This doesn't even cover the tricky issue of how you update
> Shane> the reverse securely for home users (the problem here is that
> Shane> the ISP and the home have to share a secret somehow, not
> Shane> unsolvable but tricky).
>
> Use SIG(0).

As I understand SIG(0), the home user would have to generate a
public/private key pair and securely transmit the public key to their
ISP.  Frankly, it would be easier to use TSIG and use something based
on the user name and password - which home users have for checking
their e-mail if nothing else - as the secret key.

But the important implication is that each host will have to implement
DDNS, and that the home user will have to know enough to configure
their equipment with the secret somehow.  I don't necessarily think
this is bad, but AFAIK nobody has even proposed the IETF make such a
suggestion.

--
Shane Kerr
RIPE NCC