To: M?ns Nilsson <mansaxel@sunet.se>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Shane Kerr <shane@ripe.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 11:55:06 +0100
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Radical Surgery proposal: stop doing reverse for IPv6.

On 2003-03-19 07:07:23 +0100, M?ns Nilsson wrote:

> --On Wednesday, March 19, 2003 04:09:42 +0100 Brad Knowles
> <brad.knowles@skynet.be> wrote:
>
> > At 9:07 AM +1000 2003/03/19, George Michaelson wrote:
> >
> >>  Radical Surgery proposal: stop doing reverse for IPv6.
> >
> > 	Why?  What's the problem with providing reverse DNS for IPv6?
>
> None, except that it is boring to manually calculate the addresses.

Not strictly true.  A pretty good presentation on this was given at
the IPv6-SIG at APNIC 15:

http://www.apnic.net/meetings/15/sigs/ipv6/docs/ipv6-fujisaki-reverse-dns.pdf

This doesn't even cover the tricky issue of how you update the reverse
securely for home users (the problem here is that the ISP and the home
have to share a secret somehow, not unsolvable but tricky).

For the record, I think ICMP name lookups would solve the problem of
address-to-name mapping sufficiently for users.  I support the
proposal of no longer doing reverse for IPv6 100%.

--
Shane Kerr
RIPE NCC